At Bedlinog Community Primary School we endeavour to provide the best educational opportunities for each child in our school. We have a 'can do' learning culture which enables all children to reach their maximum potential.
ALN stands for Additional Learning Needs. As a school we recognise that all pupils come to school at different stages and with different needs, however there are some children who show signs of being more able and talented (see MAT policy) or have a learning difficulty, which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.
A child has a learning difficulty if he or she:
- has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age.
- has a disability which either prevents or hinders the child from making use of educational facilities of a kind provided for children of the same age in schools within the area of the local educational authority.
- has a range of underlying factors such as cognitive, physical or sensory difficulty, emotional and behavioural difficulty or difficulty with speech and language or social interaction.
Such children may need additional or different support from that given to other children of the same age.
At Bedlinog Community Primary School we aim to:
- Ensure that early identification of a pupil's needs is made;
- Ensure that all pupils reach their full potential;
- Ensure that parents are fully involved from the onset;
- Work in partnership with parents, pupils and other agencies e.g. Educational Psychologist, Speech Therapists, Social Workers, School Nurse etc.
- Secure the necessary provision for any pupil who has additional learning needs
Pupils who meet our criteria for having ALN requiring will receive support from class teachers, teaching assistants and other adults who can help support the learning process. As a school we identify support for Pupils under the following areas:
- School Action (SA) - Support for Pupils identified as School Action lies within our School. This may be in the form of school based interventions or differentiated tasks in class. There would be no involvement or support from any external agencies
- School Action Plus (SA+) - Those who are identified as School Action Plus will have the additional support and/or advice of external agencies such as Health or Educational Psychologist.
- Statement - Pupils with statements are provided with provision to meet their needs by the Local Authority, who take responsibility for this Statement. The school will fully engage with the statement process.
Our ALNCo (Additional Learning Needs Coordinator) is Mrs Allyson Jones. If you would like to get in touch with Mrs Jones to discuss concerns you have in relation to your child regarding ALN, or would like more information about ALN, please get in touch with us via email to firstname.lastname@example.org